Car wrecks are an unfortunate reality of driving on Texas roads, leading to physical, emotional, and financial distress for those involved. Thousands of Texans each year are injured due to the negligence of other drivers, and even relatively minor accidents can cause a cascade of lingering problems. The good news? You don’t have to struggle alone. If you were injured in a Texas car accident due to someone else’s negligence, you need the assistance of an experienced car accident attorney to navigate the challenging times ahead.
Grubbs Law Firm, led by Attorney Doug Grubbs, has worked tirelessly on behalf of Texas car accident victims for nearly two decades. When you work with our team of experienced legal professionals, we personalize our approach to maximize your potential compensation and get you back on your feet. We understand the unique challenges faced by those injured in car wrecks, and we’re here to assist every step of the way. Your initial consultation is free, and we only get paid if we win your case in court or put money in your pocket through successful negotiations. Contact us today to get started.
Understanding Car Accidents in Texas
As an at-fault insurance state, Texas law mandates that the party responsible for causing a car accident must bear the financial responsibility for the damages. The at-fault system plays a critical role in how personal injury claims are handled in Texas, as filing a successful claim involves proving the other party’s fault. The causes of car accidents in Texas are varied, with some helping establish negligence on the other driver’s part more than others. The most common causes of accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or taking eyes off the road
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of substances
- Dangerous weather conditions, like rain, sleet, or fog
It’s not always obvious who caused an accident. As the ones liable for paying for claims made against their drivers, insurance companies are quick to start building a case that limits their financial responsibility. After a car accident where you received injuries, reach out to Doug Grubbs to learn more about your options and potential avenues for recovering compensation.
Common Injuries from Car Accidents
Regardless of their severity, you deserve compensation when a negligent driver injures you on Texas roads. Some common injuries include:
- Whiplash: Often resulting from rear-end collisions, whiplash can cause neck pain and reduced range of motion.
- Fractures and Broken Bones: These can occur in all parts of the body, requiring surgery, casting, and extensive rehabilitation.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): TBIs can lead to cognitive impairments, memory loss, and long-term care needs.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord can result in partial or complete paralysis, requiring the injured party to seek long-term care and potentially leading to permanent disability.
The long-term effects of these injuries can be profound, affecting an individual’s quality of life, ability to work, and overall well-being. Even if you feel fine after an accident, you should be aware that many injuries can lie dormant, rearing their ugly heads days or weeks in the future. Seek preventative medical attention after your accident and contact a personal injury attorney to begin the process of protecting your rights.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Building a strong case – one that insurance companies can’t wiggle out of – requires meticulous planning, often starting immediately after an accident. However, staying safe and healthy is an obvious key concern. Some general steps to take after a car wreck include:
- Stay Safe: Safety is the priority. Move to a safe location if possible, call 911, and report the accident. Assist others if doing so doesn’t endanger you or others around you.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t have any initial pain, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even injuries that are not immediately apparent can have long-term consequences. Prompt medical evaluation can also provide essential documentation for a personal injury claim.
- Gather Evidence and Information: Collect information from other drivers, witnesses, and law enforcement. This evidence can be crucial in building a solid legal case. Take photographs of the scene, including vehicle damage, position, and location, as well as any visible injuries you suffered.
Experienced attorneys know what to look for and how to gather evidence efficiently. Having an attorney on your side can simplify this process, ensuring that all necessary details are collected and preserved for your legal claim. Rest and recovery are required to become whole; you shouldn’t be forced to undertake this work during this challenging time.
Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer in Texas
Hiring a car wreck attorney to help after your accident provides many substantial benefits.
- Immediate Assistance: An attorney can preserve evidence and protect your rights right after the accident – the time when people are suffering the most from their injuries.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Legal representation ensures fair treatment from uncooperative insurance companies and helps you avoid potential pitfalls during negotiations.
- Handling Serious Injuries: While even minor accidents may necessitate seeking legal help, major accidents that cause serious injuries might put you out of commission for a long time. Attorneys work on your behalf while you focus on recovery.
- Disputed Liability: When liability is contested and other drivers are placing blame, an attorney can build a strong case to prove the other party’s fault.
At Grubbs Law Firm, we offer all potential clients a free consultation and only accept cases on a contingency fee basis. This means you can seek professional legal guidance, address pressing issues, and start the road to recovery without worrying about upfront bills. Our approach ensures that you only pay if we win your case, and you never have to put off hiring legal representation due to a lack of funds. To schedule a free consultation, reach out to Grubbs Law Firm today.
Compensation and The Legal Process
In Texas, the laws regarding compensation are designed to cover the damages and losses incurred due to car accidents. While specific dollar amounts change on a case-by-case basis, the goal is to ensure that victims are made whole again.
Types of compensation may include:
- Medical expenses, including rehabilitation programs and long-term care
- Property damage, such as repairs or replacements for damaged or totaled vehicles
- Lost income and earning capacity due to time off work or permanent disability
- Pain and suffering, reflecting the emotional and physical distress caused by the accident
At Grubbs Law Firm, we meticulously evaluate each case to determine fair compensation for your situation. Our approach involves thoroughly investigating the accident, gathering evidence, consulting with medical experts, and negotiating aggressively with insurance companies.
In addition to understanding compensation, it’s important to be aware of the legal procedures and deadlines involved in a personal injury claim. The statute of limitations under Texas law is only two years for personal injury claims, meaning you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. While this might seem like a long time, a strong case benefits from an ample preparation period and access to fresh evidence and witness statements.
The typical legal process for a car accident involves the following:
- An initial investigation to gather evidence and establish liability
- Filing a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance provider
- Negotiating a fair settlement, which may include multiple rounds of discussions
- Potential court proceedings if negotiations do not lead to a fair settlement
Navigating these legal procedures can be complex and time-consuming. Start off on the right foot by contacting Grubbs Law Firm today. Our team can guide you through this process, ensuring that all necessary details are handled promptly and in accordance with Texas laws.
Contact A Texas Car Accident Attorney Today
From understanding Texas negligence laws to knowing the proper steps to take after an accident, the process can be overwhelming. That’s why Grubbs Law Firm is here to assist you. With free initial consultations and a contingency fee structure, we’re committed to your success without any upfront costs. Contact us today to begin the journey toward recovery with a law firm that genuinely cares about your well-being.